This Sunday, December 2nd, Citylight Church will begin its first ever Advent Series! For many of us, celebrating Advent will be a completely new experience. For others it’s a time-honored tradition that we look forward to each year. No matter your experience, my prayer is that this Advent Season will be one in which the Father strengthens you in the Holy Spirit and fills you with inexpressible joy (Eph. 3:14-19)!
The word Advent is an anglicized Latin term, which means ‘coming’ or ‘the arrival/coming of someone or something significant’. Throughout the centuries the Church has set aside the four or five Sundays leading up to Christmas as a time to prepare our hearts to celebrate the greatest of all miracles: the incarnation. When God took on human flesh and entered into our world to live, die, & rise for us. During the next four Sundays, Citylight will join in this centuries old tradition by exploring various Advent themes from 1 Peter 1:3-16 and singing both traditional & contemporary Advent songs with our worship team and choir!
Below are a few ways for you (and your family) to experience this Advent Season to the fullest:
- Invite unchurched friends and family to our Advent Sundays. There is no joy like the multiplied joy of sharing Advent with others.
- Join a Citygroup, where you can celebrate and serve throughout Advent with others.
- Commit to one of the youversion personal Advent Bible reading plans.
- Download John Piper’s free Advent book for wonderful daily readings.
- Take part in daily Advent readings & discussion as a family, couple, or roommates.
I can’t wait for Sundays celebration of Immanuel: God with us! See you then!